Monday, September 14, 2009

Immersion and Excess responce

It is wonderful seeing the different dimensions in which video installation is growing, there are still some aspects that I find hard to grasp from reading them alone. I think that articles can not do justice the exposure of being on site where the installation is. But still I find it fascinating to see how far people are trying to stretch from traditional film to what I would classify as existential. The problem for me is seeing things being limited to traditional narrative structure. I think it is a great avenue to explore, hell, I have tried doing installations regarding narrative. But I really like where the artists are breaking boundaries by dropping the narrative aspect and focusing on the levels that can go beyond the fourth wall per say. The redesign of the apparatus I feel is the greatest movement in video installation. Form has shifted and become so interactive now as well as moving past the standard traditional image to light theory and progression of sound. The web has played a part in the interactive media that has taken off. It is nice to see people using their environments of the every day person and incorporating them. Form can be formless, I love how people are working with lights and the sky removing the need for a screen. I feel that the screen is a limitation that needs to moved beyond. 3D art that scans and maps objects using sound and light to manipulate forms is just mind boggling to me. Making screens out of concrete, taking form that is permanent with an idealized image that is generally referred to as being a momentary response is phenomenal. I think that installation has moved far beyond the need for traditional forms like in Batman using shadow box method in projecting form on the clouds, using the environment as a screen. It is just great! Sculpture in the form of images to projections with physical interpretations are just interesting and take a level of ability with working in space that makes me wish that I can obtain such levels of formlessness. The artists presented in the article are great, but I feel that the article could be much better suited with direct imagery corresponding to what is being read. Thank god for Google! For it is a great tool in researching what we are reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment